Monday, November 28, 2011

Reflections on "Walking with God"

Walking with God

Prelude,
The Power of Assumptions
(excerpt) "I ran into an old acquaintance at the bookstore today. Actually, i was nearly out the door when he called my name, so i turned back in to say hello and chat for a few moments. He seemed...not well. Half the man he used to be. I wondered why. I expected him to say that he had suffered some major loss. A loved one, i feared. Or maybe it was a prolonged illness. Not that he was visibly deteriorating as some do in the late stages of cancer. But there was something about his countenance, a loss of some essential part of himself. You know the look. Many people have it, actually. It's a confused and disheartened look. As we talked, it became clear that he had simply been eroded by a number of confusing years strung together by disappointment.

As i left the store, i found myself thinking, He held such promise. What happened?

It has to do with assumptions."

--John Eldredge

Am I the one with that confused and disheartened look? Has the stress and confusion of the past 3 weeks taken such a toll? I believe it has. I look back at the last 3 weeks and see wreckage. And, although I’d like to ignore it, it really does have to do with assumptions. Or maybe its just 1 assumption…
Maybe it has just been the 1 assumption that A+B=C; that because I love God, He will bless whatever my choices are. And here lies the shortcoming: I have forgotten that there is a whole lot more to my relationship with God than just trying to be a good person.
Father, I want to know Your voice and Follow YOU.
(John 10:1-4, 9-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment